Duke (North Carolina, South Carolina) requires specific items on their HOI regardless of territory.
The utility bill (UB) and homeowner's insurance declarations (HOI) must have matching names to be accepted by Duke.
- This includes all territories: NC/SC Duke Energy Carolinas and Duke Energy Progress
Key Items that must show on the HOI include:
- Personal (Or Family) Liability - "Per Occurrence" or "Each Occurrence."
- Homeowners Name,
- Policy Start/End Dates
- Complete Property Address.
Homeowners Insurance name must match the primary name on the Duke account- If two names are listed on the Duke bill, the primary account holder is the first name listed.
- Chris Smith on bill -vs- Christopher Smith on insurance - This will be DENIED
- Chris Smith on bill -vs- Chris Smith II or Jr. on insurance - This will be DENIED
- Mary Smith on bill -vs- Mary Jones-Smith on insurance - This will be DENIED
- Chris P Smith on bill -vs-Chris Paul Smith on insurance - This will be ACCEPTED
1. Changing the homeowners' name on the insurance tends to be the easiest route to have these documents match.
- Contacting a local insurance branch usually provides better customer service than a national call center.
- In many cases, homeowner's insurance agents can easily update or add names to an HOI and immediately provide a new declaration page.
2. If a homeowner is adamant about changing their name on the utility bill, often a new account number needs to be generated.
- The new account number and new Utility account holder will need to be provided to Palmetto for the interconnection application.
Homeowners Insurance companies typically send the new policy 30 days prior to expiration. Since a large percentage of policies are held in escrow, it will be very difficult to receive a policy Declarations Page before this date. Therefore, if an insurance policy will expire within the next 2-4 months, it is imperative to mention to the homeowner the new policy will need to be collected prior to the completion of the solar project.
If the policy will expire 2 months after Contract Received, Palmetto can move the project to Contract Received Confirmed with this document, submit for interconnection, then collect the new policy 1 month before expiration.
Duke will not accept:
- “One Occurrence”,
- “The Occurrence”, "Per Incident" or
- "Each Incident."
- Must refer to the Personal Liability amount, not deductible.