What is a Virtual Survey? All Palmetto jobs can now be fully engineered via our Virtual Site Survey (VSS), an easy to use, convenient form that allows Sales People and Customers to provide Palmetto directly with the information needed to complete a customized design, ready for permits. The VSS is required for Milestone 1 on all customer accounts, and can be completed in a matter of minutes by either the sales member or homeowner.
By simply answering a few basic questions, and taking select photos around the site, Palmetto is able to combine this information with virtual data sources to streamline the project to permit, eliminating the hassle and inconvenience of a Site Survey.
- Access the customer's specific VSS link directly from their opportunity in the Alchemy portal.
- Launch the link directly, copy and paste it, or, email it directly to the homeowner.
- Follow the step by step instructions, including answering questions about the site, and taking a few photo around the home.
- Palmetto will combine this information with virtual data sources to complete a fully engineered design, ready for operations and permitting.
New to VSS? Please view the recorded training webinar below and learn how to best utilize this tool.
1)How do you determine if the roof condition is adequate for a solar installation? We ask for 3 points of information about the roof: A photo of the roof, estimated age of the roof, and assessment of current condition. We combined this with virtual data sources to verify the accuracy, and provide additional insight into the overall quality and condition of the roof.
2) Why don't I need to take photos of the roof structure from inside the attic? We utilize virtual data points to build a profile of the project site to determine construction type, quality, and condition. The methods we use to determine structural adequacy for solar installation are both code-compliant and widely accepted by AHJs across the US.
3) What if the photos are insufficient, or unclear? We assess each project on a case by case basis. Palmetto will always attempt to use its databases, external sources, and expertise to fill in any missing gaps, before scheduling a Technician to visit the project site.
4) How and when will I know if the information I submitted to Palmetto is accepted to skip the Site Survey? Palmetto will review the Virtual Survey information shortly after it is submitted. If the information is accepted, we will progress the project forward within 24 hours.
5) Is there any liability for a sales rep for taking electrical photos? No, there is no precedent or liability on a rep for simply opening a panel door and taking photos. Of course, reps should exercise good judgment and not take any action other than the required photos (do not, for example, touch any breakers or wiring).
6) How will Palmetto know if there are any issues with the attic structure? We combined the virtual survey submission with virtual data sources to verify the accuracy, and provide additional insight into the overall quality and condition of the roof. This includes searching for reports of fire damage or roof construction. However, partners should be aware that the goal of the Virtual survey is to speed time to installation, and not necessarily to account for edge-case issues which may arise on installation day.
Palmetto's standard VSS links will be sunset in June of 2022. Use of the customer-specific link, directly on the customer's Alchemy account, is encouraged to avoid any disruptions after the old links are disabled.